I love popcorn. The second the girls have stopped their night time rumblings, I'm off to the kitchen to pop some kernels on the stove top. Then Aaron and I settle happily on the couch and watch old episodes of Arrested Development. Unless, of course, I've forgotten to replace the popcorn and I'm searching in the pantry for something else to munch on. Enter roasted chickpeas.
Chickpeas are quite slutty and will happily accept any seasoning your throw at them. You could go the Moroccan route and add some cumin, cinnamon and ground coriander. Or you could go Mediterranean with lemon pepper and oregano. I went a slightly Thai route and the results were delicious. Crunchy on the outside with a slightly creamy centre.
- Preheat your oven to about 375 degrees and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a measuring cup add a few tablespoons of the oil of your choice and whisk in your seasonings.
- For the Thai flavours, I used a 1/4 teaspoon of sesame oil, 3 tablespoons canola oil, a tablespoon of soy sauce and another tablespoon of sweet chili sauce.
- Drain and rinse two small cans of chickpeas and put them in a bowl. Add your seasonings and stir.
- Pour the chickpeas on a baking sheet in a single layer.
- Bake for 30-40 minutes until golden brown. Give them a stir halfway through.
- Cool slightly and serve.
The bigger problem now is that we're all out of Arrested Development episodes. How did this show get cancelled? I already miss Buster and his hook.